Radishes get a bad reputation for being an unusable vegetable. Many people don’t like the spice, but we dare you to try them some other way aside from raw in a salad (although we enjoy them like that as well!) We throw radishes into lots of dishes from roasted vegetables to crock pot beef roast. They have been fabulous in stir fry, pasta salad, and even soup. Here are some new ways you can try using radishes!
Daikon Radish Salad with Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp canola oil or grapeseed oil
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 large daikon radish, peeled and thinly sliced into matchsticks
1/2 carrot, peeled and sliced into thin matchsticks
1/2 cucumber, sliced into thin matchsticks
1/4 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 tsp or so toasted sesame seeds for garnish
salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 daikon radishes
- 1 lb. of carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 whole onion
- sea salt and pepper
- fresh ground pepper
- olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- Turn oven to 350 degrees. Drizzle and slather olive oil evenly on a flat baking pan.
- Then peel and cut the daikons into 1/4 thick round slices. Try to be consistent with the cutting so that it can cook evenly. Spread it evenly on the baking pan.
- Chop the onion into big chunks and spread it along with the carrots onto the baking pan
- Mash the garlic and throw it on top of the vegetables.
- Season the vegetables with salt & pepper and drizzle additional olive oil to cover.
- Put it in the oven and let it bake for about 45-60 min tossing occasionally.
Herbed Greek Salad
From From Asparagus to Zucchini
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
½ cup sliced black Greek olives
1 cup sliced radishes
¼ cup chopped green onions
2 small cucumbers, thinly sliced
2 Tbs. lemon juice
2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
1 tsp. chopped fresh basil
½ tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1-2 tsp. minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
Combine cheese, olives, radishes, green onions, and cucumbers in a large bowl. Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Toss with dressing with vegetable mixture. Chill 1-2 hours. Makes 6-8 servings.